Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Standing Horse



This, and all the horses posted prior, is drawn from a plastic toy. As I've been drawing I have tried to imagine a living horse and to imagine as well it's mood or personality. Most these drawings are made on 8 x 10 inches sheets of Strathmore drawing paper in a spiral notebook using pencil. A few earlier ones are colored using colored pencils.
I'm drawing the whole group to free up ideas for a painting that I have planned, which I'm designing for children particularly. Hence, I'm very comfortable drawing from toys, but even as I am looking at toys, I try to recapture every memory I have of being around real horses, memories which are quite few in number since I don't usually get a chance to see real horses much.
Of course, I cannot help thinking about Degas's horses also, which are almost as real and living (for me) as real horses are real and living.
I cut my teeth on Degas, when I was young and first learning how to draw. So, it's natural to turn to him now and to renew my acquaintance with his ideas, ideas that are as much ideas about lines and forms as about things.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! I love your art skills! Your realy good! I'm only 12 and I draw horses really well to, kind of like you! My horses look alot like yours as welll as your paint skills. I really like your art work. Keep up the Great work!

~KeNdI♥♥♥

Aletha Kuschan said...

Kendra,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad to hear that you're an artist who enjoys drawing horses too. Horses are so beautiful and graceful, and I think that's part of what makes them such wonderful subjects for art.